Friday, August 9, 2013

Top Ten Comedies

We all know how much I love the Horror genre. Not everyone knows my least favorite genre is comedy followed very closely by action. It's true, I don't like to laugh. Not really, I just find about 80% of comedies completely unfunny. I'm not saying I have this ultra sophisticated sense of humor. I think I'm missing something because I just don't comprehend most comedy. My biggest issue is that I do not appreciate forced humor. If something or someone is trying desperately to be funny, it usually ends up not being funny (at least to me). For example, films like THE 40 YR OLD VIRGIN, BRIDESMAIDS, THE HANGOVER, and MEET THE PARENTS feel so factitious. Don't even get me started on Saturday Night Live or stand-up Comedy! The other bane of my existence is British Comedy. I have never been a fan of MONTY PYTHON or Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright films. Before I launch into a whole tirade on why I detest most comedy, maybe I can share the ones I actually like. There are a few Comedy films out there that I really enjoy. This list is subject to change. Maybe you can make some suggestions if I left any important ones out.

10. THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS

I know there’s a lot of Wes Anderson haters out there, but I really enjoy his work. It took me a while to see THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX (I’m not crazy about animated features), but even that was enjoyable for me. His films just exude a charming sense of endearment and sentimentality we rarely see anymore. TENENBAUMS is a prime example of the perfect ensemble cast. Every actor in this film brings their A game. The best part of this film is that is lacks dick/fat jokes that seem to make up the current comedy genre. It’s a very humorous film that happens to be smart. I still laugh hysterically when Gene Hackman calls Danny Glover “Coltrane”! This may actually be the only film on my list that also comes in Criterion which says something.

You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you never heard!



9. OFFICE SPACE

Mike Judge has a brilliant sense of humor that I feel a kindred spirit to since he’s also a native Texan. He often finds humor in bleak situations. He makes light of things we cannot control like traffic. I love this film so much because it is completely relatable. Many of us constantly feel like we are stuck in the rat race. We are all Peter Gibbons dreaming about ripping up TPS reports. I myself have fantasies of going all Bjork on a certain copy machine. OFFICE SPACE pokes fun of all these little thorns in our side. At the end of the film, we can all remember that it really isn’t that bad. Also, OFFICE SPACE was filmed in Austin at the time that Dell and the dot com world was bustling. It’s interesting to see how things have changed since then. RIP Old Alligator Grill.

Good evening Sir, my name is Steve. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling magazine subscriptions.



8. WAITING FOR GUFFMAN

Christopher Guest perfected the mocumentary long before shows like The Office even thought of it. For a really long time, I had the “Bastard People” soliloquy as my answering machine (yes I said answering machine) message. This is also a really amazing ensemble cast. GUFFMAN is the result of really great writing and comedic timing.

Here's the Remains of the Day lunchbox. Kids don't like eating at school, but if they have a Remains of the Day lunchbox they're a lot happier.




7. RUN RONNIE RUN

My second favorite comedian is David Cross. I had the privilege to meet David Cross once in a bar and I actually made him laugh. Definitely one of my greatest accomplishments. Ronnie Dobbs was a character from Cross’ sketch comedy series, Mr. Show. Ronnie Dobbs is what Joe Dirt wanted to be. This movie is completely absurd, but unbelievable hilarious. I recall nearly crying from laughter when I first saw the Three Times One Minus One music video. I’ve heard that Cross actually hates this film because of the editing and other issues. I think it’s great and a wonderful testament of how truly funny David Cross can be. There are also some brilliant celebrity cameos like Jeff Goldblum.

Oh just the bitch I've been fucking. Jealous much?



6. THIS IS SPINAL TAP

Spinal Tap is such a classic film. It’s one of the greatest comedies of our time that is still parodied to this day. How often do you see/hear references that go to eleven? I’m a huge film nerd who regularly listens to a film’s audio commentary. This is the best audio commentary because they actually do it in character throughout the whole film. The one-liners in this film are absolutely genius. It's no wonder that Christopher Guest makes another appearance on this list. Side note: There's a miniature Stonehenge in front of a house in my neighborhood.

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.



5. STEPBROTHERS

I wasn’t sure what to expect going in to STEPBROTHERS, but boy was I surprised. I am not the biggest fan of Will Ferrell but he was actually funny in this film. However, John C. Reilly really made the movie for me as the lovable manfit Dale Doback. I don’t know what it is about this film that makes me love it so much, but I do.

Dad, we're men. That means a few things - we like to shit with the door open, we talk about pussy, we go on riverboat gambling trips, and we make our own beef jerky. That's what we do, and now that is all wrecked.



4. GHOSTBUSTERS

This is one of those unique films that is enjoyable as a child and still hold up as an adult. GHOSTBUSTERS had some of the biggest comedians on the planet in one cast. It is one of the best performances by my favorite comedian and actor, Bill Murray. GHOSTBUSTERS is also a rare case where the sequel is equally funny. On the other hand, there is no possible way Hollywood can recapture this kind of magic again with GHOSTBUSTERS III. There just aren’t any current comedians that can match the heavyweights of the original cast. I hope Hollywood realizes what a huge mistake they’re making.

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!



3. THE BIG LEBOWSKI

Films like LEBOWSKI come along once in a lifetime. Jeff Bridges is incredible as The Dude, but Walter was the true highlight. It’s hard to find such quick-witted & thoroughly entertaining writing like the Coens. They have cornered the market on the bumbled plan storyline and each time it’s just as funny. The characters are over the top, but not so much that they are unrelatable. This film is engrossing and hilarious at the same time. I have never met a soul who does not love this LEBOWSKI.

You mark that frame an 8, and you're entering a world of pain.



2. WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER

Many of us came of age just at the time that The State was airing regularly on MTV. It was also around the dark days of SNL when it was the least funny which made for a great alternative. The State was a sketch comedy show that produced some of the most successful current comedians and writers. This show was for me what Kids In The Hall should have been. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed harder than the first time I watched WET HOT. The more times I viewed it, the more things I found that I loved about it. Who knows what will happen with this much rumored sequel.

You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore.



1. CADDYSHACK

Duh, it’s my favorite movie of all time! I watched CADDYSHACK when I was a kid and absolutely loved it. I loved the gopher and Rodney Dangerfield wisecracks. Now that I’m older, I still love it for those reasons, but now I can actually understand the more adult jokes.

I smell varmint poontang. And the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think.




HONORABLE MENTIONS:

CANNONBALL RUN
MALLRATS
REVENGE OF THE NERDS


For obvious reasons.

1 comment:

  1. Although I may never understand why you don't like British Comedy, I gotta say this is a pretty great list. I love all ten.

    ReplyDelete