Sunday, November 27, 2011

Spanksgiving

Well, the holiday season if officially underway. Hopefully we have all recovered from the trials and tribulations Thanksgiving usually offers us. It's a wonderful time to share thanks, but it can also be a stressful time of travel. This year my Thanksgiving was very quiet. I spent some time with my other family in North Austin, but most of the day was spent eating pizza and relaxing with Spike & Ross. I figured this would be a good time to share a few things I am grateful for. I am incredibly thankful for my loving family and friends (you know who you are). You guys mean a lot to me and I really appreciate the support. Here's a few other things I'm thankful for:

Spike
I am so lucky to have my little gentleman. He's the best dog in the world and I love him more than anything! In the seven years we have been together, I have no complaints about Spike. I mentioned just the other that the reason why I love Spike so much is because he loves me more than anything. Dogs will always love you unconditionally unlike cats who treat you as a minion. I'm also pretty proud of the fact that Spike is incredibly well behaved, probably more well behaved than most children. He loves to play with other dogs and people. Sure he doesn't like children or cats but neither do I so that's alright. I never have to be cautious of having people over because he's comfortable around anyone. I also don't have to worry about him destroying any of my belongings while I am out of the house. I can't wait to adopt a new baby brother/sister for him.



Austin
I try not to take for granted that I live in such a great place. The city I grew up in wasn't terrible, it just wasn't right for me. As far as where I want to be career wise and creative wise, Austin is where I need to be. I'm lucky to be able to do just about anything in this town and not get tired of it. Sometimes I forget how good I have it, then I drive down Lamar by Pease Park or step into an Alamo Drafthouse and realize there is no other place I'd want to be. The rent is reasonable, the food is good, and the art/film/music community is thriving. I'm also happy to live in such a great community. The neighborhood I grew up in as a child was notorious for shootings & robberies. Now I can walk my dog around the neighborhood and feel totally safe. I've had a wonderful time in all the years I've been in Austin and I only look forward to many more.



Education
I often complain about certain aspects regarding my education, but in the long run I'm pretty lucky. Taking into consideration that others are not fortunate to experience higher education, it's something I take very seriously (sometimes TOO seriously). I agree higher education should not be as costly as it is. Look at what happened in England with all the student protests; they have every right to oppose these injustices. Maybe then our world leaders will take notice and realize what is really important. There was a time when I felt really lost in life. I was going out partying too much because I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do with myself. Having so many friends who are professional artists, musicians, and photographers, it was so frightening to feel untalented & inept. It took a while, but I finally found my place. I have been advantageous enough to come across some really amazing mentors and educators. Teachers hold the most important job in the world yet they get as much respect as Rodney Dangerfield. I intend to change that by becoming the best person I can be.



Modern Technology
As some of you may know, just a few years ago I was completely incompetent when it came to technology. I couldn't even type faster than a chicken pecking at a keyboard (just ask Chad). Here I am today, capable of operating several computer programs, making PowerPoint presentations, and writing my own blog. I have come a long way! I'm incredibly grateful to those who helped me along the way. I'm still pretty apprehensive about certain aspects of the Internet (FaceBook, YouTube, Tumblr, etc.), for personal reasons, not because I'm afraid to use them. I'm relieved there's no video or photos on the Internet of myself acting a drunken mess. Most social networking sites exude exposure I am not comfortable with. I just don't need every moment of my life chronicle. I'm also grateful most of this modern technology did not exist while I was in my party phase. I imagine if it were, I would have made a great embarrassment of myself. On the other hand, the Web has aided in mobilizing various movements going on in the world. It's amazing to see people come together for a cause that matters. Modern technology has also afforded me the luxury of communicating with my loved ones (Ruth, John, Kevin, Big Brother, etc.) who live elsewhere. I sent a lot of handwritten letters in my day; now I can just send an email. I just love writing which is another reason why I'm thankful. I may not be Hemingway or Salinger but I do enjoy writing, even if it's just a few blog posts here and there. I'm even more thankful that you guys read them!



Turkey
Sure he's arduous & difficult at times, but in the big scheme of things I am lucky to have him and I don't say that enough. I've made some tough decisions in the last few years and he was there supporting me all along the way. I cannot express how much I appreciate his kindness and patience. He gives me the last bit of his french fries, listens to Rick Springfield with me, and always lets me pick the movie no matter how gross or boring he thinks it is. It's no secret that I can be demanding & stubborn at times. It takes a lot of guts to handle me sometimes and I know I'm not very good at being sentimental. Extra special thanks to the Turkey for taking the good with the bad.




Honorable Mention
I'm really grateful for the WamPug!



Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season!

1 comment: