Monday, February 15, 2010

pass the popcorn

Kind of late to the party, but I felt the need to summarize my favorite films from 2009 and the last decade. I'll throw in a few I'm looking forward to this year.

Best of 2009
1. Inglourous Basterds- flawless
2. Antichrist- mind blowing
3. Whatever Works- Woody Allen & Larry David are a match made in Jewish heaven
4. Zombieland- zombie strippers, twinkies, Van Halen, Bill fucking Murrary....all the things I love
5. Extract- Bateman is the new Cusack and Mike Judge is still clever as hell
6. Anvil- know someone in a band? make them watch this film
7. Up In The Air- This might cancel out Batman & Robin for Clooney
8. The Limits of Control- weird, confusing, long, slow, beautiful...I expect no less from Jarmusch


Best of the Decade

1. Irreversible- extraordinary from end to beginning
2. Old Boy- M. Night Shyamalan wishes he could write twists like this
3. Battle Royale- the Japanese have turned this genre into art
4. American Psycho- I never get tired of lovable serial killers
5. High Fidelity- who hasn't wanted to work in a record store
6. Lost in Translation- my heart melts every time he sings "What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding"
7. Let the Right One In- one of the best love stories ever written
8. Mulholland Dr.- weird, creepy, funny, sexy, pure Lynch
9. Wet Hot American Summer- never laughed harder
10. The Royal Tenenbaums- amazing ensemble cast

Of course I'm looking forward to Alice in Wonderland like every other recovering goth chick with a crush on Johnny Depp. I'm also looking forward to Shutter Island because Scorsese has been stepping up his game. I am NOT looking forward to the Nightmare on Elm St. remake. Thank you Hollywood for slaughtering my childhood with a fancy new bladed glove.

Anxiously anticipating

Inception (July 16th)- Christopher Nolan needs a break from Batman and so do I
The Social Network (Oct 15th)- David Fincher meets Facebook...surely he has a plan
Machete (Apr 16th)- Danny Trejo reeks havok on ATX....yes please
Iron Man 2 (May 7th)- Justin Theroux wrote this
Clash of the Titans (Mar 26th)- pointless eye candy is ok sometimes as long as James Cameron is NOT involved
The American (Dec 17th)- it's Anton Corbijin
Black Swan (2010)- only Aronofsky can trick me into watching something with Natalie Portman

No comments:

Post a Comment